Title: Fran Drescher Demands Creation of Streaming Fund during Union Contract Negotiations
In a recent development during the contract negotiations between SAG-AFTRA union and major streaming platforms, union president Fran Drescher has demanded the creation of a new streaming fund. The fund aims to redistribute money among guild members, even for shows they are not working on, and has sparked concerns about fairness, legality, and the principles of success in Hollywood.
Under the proposed structure, high-budget streaming shows that attract 20% of a platform’s subscriber base in the first 90 days will generate a bonus. Out of this bonus, 75% will go directly to the actors involved in those shows, while the remaining 25% will be allocated to a fund administered jointly by SAG and the AMPTP.
The primary objective of this fund is to support actors whose shows do not reach hit status in the competitive streaming business model. One of the main factors prompting the demand was the frustration among SAG members who only account for a fraction of actors making a viable living in the industry.
Fran Drescher had fought ardently for the fund after her revenue sharing proposal was rejected by the studios. However, concerns have been raised over the fund’s complete discretion in distributing the money, which is highly unusual and raises legal concerns. Some SAG members are particularly wary about the lack of information regarding who will receive the money from the fund.
Industry sources have also expressed worries about potential legal disputes from actors with hit shows who feel underpaid. Studios have shown disappointment towards the fund, labeling it as “socialism” and questioning the fairness of bonuses for unsuccessful shows.
Control over the fund’s administration emerged as a significant sticking point during the contract negotiations, highlighting the importance and complexity of this issue.
As talks continue between SAG-AFTRA and streaming platforms, the creation of this controversial streaming fund remains a prominent topic of discussion. While it aims to support actors and provide a safety net for those who face financial challenges, questions of fairness, legality, and potential lawsuits loom over the fund’s implementation. Only time will tell if the streaming industry can find a balance that satisfies all parties involved.